Monday, March 19, 2012

Under the Tuscan Sun - 17 March 2012

Again we awoke to fog, but knowing it clears about 10 or so we planned one more trip into Tuscany. Guess where? You guessed it Cortona.

Ok on this trip I have picked places I would live if I won lotto and could travel a lot. So in England it was either Bath or Padstow ( I am learning towards Padstow for Audry's sake), in France it was definately no questions asked Bordeaux. Now Italy, up until now I really didnt have anywhere except Florence. I would live in Florence in a shot above all other places. Today was where god spoke to me (ok maybe not but I am trying to convince Brett so bear with me on this whole god talking to me thing) and said I should live some of the year in Florence and the rest of the time in Cortona. For those of you that have seen 'Under the Tuscan Sun" this is the town where it is filmed. This small town is on a hill and is beautiful. Big enough to have a enough to do and enough places to walk and visit and eat and drink and the views are some of the best I have seen.

We got there in time to park and go up to sets of escalators, yes this civilised country uses outdoor escalators to get you from the car park half way down the hill up to the main part of town. I know it is ingenious isnt it.




I have been using a travel guide to find places to eat and today was no exception. We ate at Ristorante Preludio and the food was exsquisite. I had a cheese soufflé for entree with a apple sauce and for main roasted duck breast in an anise sauce with a potato flan. To finish i had a chocolate soufflé.

After lunch we strolled around the town, which wasn't easy as most of the best places are up and up. We walked to the top of the hill where there is an old fortress and took in the views. Walked back down and by this time I had jelly legs from all the walking up and all the walking down. Which was so worth it. Anna start checking out places to buy or rent in this place.








Marty get out of the mouth of that Dragon you don't know what he has been eating.








By the time we left it was around 3.30 which is late for us as normally we would eat lunch and leave but this town needed to be explored.

We took a different way home, thanks again to my sign reading. We went through some lovely countryside and some old abandoned houses (wish I had heaps of money) and eventually found the freeway again.

Eventually we arrived home at about 5.30. All of our neighbours are here and again are having dinner without us. So rude. Oh well we watched a movie, sitting in front of the roaring fire and eventually had tea. Today is our second last night here. Tomorrow is Sunday and our last day here in Tuscany. Time to try and pack everything and get ready to leave.







Love Monique, Brett, Marty, Kiwi and Hooter

Location:Under the Tuscan Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment