Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cows and Lyon

Let me start this blog by saying I am cow. This will become clear shortly. We had to get up at such a stupid hour this morning. Thank god this is the only time that we have to do this on the rest of the trip. I awoke at 4.30 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. Out to the airport by 7am. They have public transport out to the airport and it costs 1.40 euro. Come on Brisbane.

Ok, we flew EasyJet today. The price is great. We got to the airport in plenty of time (I've watched the tv shows). Get to the lovely airport and can't find EasyJet (slight panic). Guess where it is, next door in the Billi shed.

I think this shed is a bit better than Tiger Airways in Melbourne. Check in is like weird. Just this counter in the middle of no where. It all went smoothly. Breakfast time. Now remember we don't speak or understand French. So the time is getting close, they make some sort of announcement, people start herding towards the area. I figure we may as well line up. Get in line, get pushed out of the way. I allow this to happen as I really don't know what is going on. We get in the line again, they then sort you into those who paid to get an assigned seat and well the rest of us. We are squashed up into a small area. They wait till everyone has checked in and then they let the assigned people go first.

I watch people come up with luggage that is way past the carry on size and then argue about it and then have to pay an enormous amount to check it in. Hee hee (again I watched the tv shows).

More pushing and shoving. The gates are getting ready to be opened. There is no assigned seating for the majority of us. Then the doors are opened and I am really surprised that there is not an all out run for it. We choose back door. Get in finally and the aim is to find the nearest seat as fast as possible and take it. We get the back row, seated together. OMG people these seats and area are tiny. Anyone over brett's height I don't know how they would do it. The seats are very small and very very close together. Now I must say that the plane was boarded very quickly as you find a seat you, sit in it quickly, there is none of this where is my seat and all the time in the world to sit and get yourself set up. So it does work in this way. God help us if either of us needed to go to the toilet.

The flight arrived early, we get the well signed train into town and eventually find our hotel, not that bad to find. A tram ride away and some walking.
The area we are staying is not going to win any awards for beauty that is for sure. The hotel doesn't look much on the outside but lucky the room is lovely and the bed is bloody awesome.





Lunch time - check trip advisor and there is this place around the corner that has some really good reviews.

Walk through the train station area which seems to be the same everywhere. A bit seedy and well a lot to be desired. Find the place we want, I hope Brett wants to eat here as well awesome.

God I hope the food is good. I don't know how to describe this place. It is like stepping back in time. To an era where frocks and hat were the norm and men wore suits and hats as well. Where the men helped the ladies out of their coats and waited till they were seated first. It is like this huge restaurant and it is art deco apparently the original.










It was one of those places that well you just have to put on your list of places to go. I couldn't stop smiling. it was the loveliest place I have been too. The food was awesome and well we spent 80% of our daily budget on lunch today. Lucky other days we have saved some. The food is fantastic and we have to go back. I think I should have been wearing the dress you have Leonie (the red one), stockings, high heals and a hat. Not that anyone was dressed like that but that is what I imagine. My mum would love this place, wish you were here.

Happy Australia day, that was my reasoning. Had to celebrate in style.

Which means for the rest of the day, walking and a small tea.

I did find this hotel and thought it was my next stay. Notice the name and then the windows.




I found this place up on the hill but I don't know what it is but I am sure we will find out.


Being up so early I had to have a nap. Oh this bed is great. Lovely nap. Out for tea and found a pizza shop that was open, no one in but within the price range and just around the corner for us. The pizza was lovely. So far lyon has lived up to the food capital.

Well we have 6 more days here to find out how true this is.




Love Monique, Brett, Marty, Kiwi and Hooter

Location:Lyon, France

No comments:

Post a Comment